Friday, June 5, 2009

Ceremony music (and choosing the right celebrant for you)

Choosing wedding music is a big job. You want to create an appropriate mood and also have a song that is both meaningful and appropriate to you both.

I would have loved a string quartet however we just aren't in the church long enough for me to justify it, especially when there is music I love that
can easily be played on disc;

Processional- Into My Arms, Nick Cave
Signing the registry- We are One- Kelly Sweet
Recessional- Beautiful Day, U2
I also made a 'arrivals' disc of traditional classic music for the background music

The priest who married my husband and I didn't like soppy music... thankfully he approved of our selections!

Father Paul,is just the loveliest, sweetest, realistic man you will ever meet. He doesn't seem like a priest at first as he is just so... so... normal! And, we figured, if he is good enough for Nicole and Keith, well he is good enough for us :)

He readily admits that he doesn't know from first hand experience but appreciates that marriage has its challenges and gave wonderful words of wisdom on how to make married life a little easier on ourselves, now and in the future and particularly with children!
Now, I am not overly religious and I attend church really only at Easter and Christmas however I was raised a Catholic and went to Catholic schools so I have my beliefs, but things like this make me so sad. It is just so unrealistic and doesn't appreciate the complexities of life. Which is why I am so grateful for Father Paul.

He made me laugh so much with his strong opinions on music, he pleaded with us not to have anything soppy and there was a lot of "Gah" and waving his hand when I played one song that we both really like I didn't think was soppy at all! Luckily, he seemed to like all our other choices and made a few good suggestions too!


Some of the most popular wedding songs:
Processional- Canon in D, Pachelbel - At Last, Etta James - Fields of Gold, Sting - Trumpet Voluntary, Clarke - "Bridal Chorus"from Lohengrin, Wagner - All My Life, KC and JOJO - "Wedding March" from Marriage of Figaro, Mozart - Come Away With Me, Norah Jones - The Prayer, Charlotte Church and Josh Groban - Because you Loved me, Celine Dion - Me and You, Kenny Chesney - Forever, Jaheim - "Storybook Love" Theme from Princess Bride), Mark Knopfler - Butterfly Kisses, Bob Carlisle - Heaven, DJ Sammy - Only Time, Enya

During the ceremony
-Until, Sting - The Prayer, Anthony Callea / Andrea Bocelli - It's Your Love, Tim McGraw/Faith Hill - Love of My Life, Jim Brickman w/ Michael W. Smith, Forever and For Always, Shania Twain - I Can Only Imagine, Mercy Me - Here and Now, Luther Vandross - Amazing Grace - My Best Friend, Tim McGraw - Ribbon In The Sky, Stevie Wonder - Kissing you, Des'ree - Truly, Madly, Deeply, Savage Garden - First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Roberta Flack - In My Life, The Beatles

Recessional
Wedding March, Mendelssohn - A Moment Like This, Kelly Clarkson - From This Moment, Shania Twain - Beautiful Day, U2 - At Last, Etta James - Thank You For Loving Me, Bon Jovi - I Cross My Heart, George Strait - Fools Rush In, Elvis Presley - How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You, James Taylor - Wedding day, Bee Gees - Book of Days, Enya - This Will Be An Everlasting Love, Natalie Cole - All You Need is Love, Beatles - If I ain't Got You, Alicia Keys - Love Of A Lifetime, Firehouse

Definitely some soppy ones in that list however music is such an individual choice, especially on your wedding day. And really, when else are you going to be able to get away with such songs!

Wedding music sites
Wedding Entertainment - which was the source for the above list
About.Weddings-
Wedding Music Charts for reception and ceremony music
E-Music

itunes
I also spent quite a while on itunes looking at songs by some of my favourite artists. Now that I just download the songs I want I miss all the songs that aren't released as singles. It's amazing what you can find!

What is a song that moved you most at a wedding? Or, what song do you never want to hear again at a wedding?

3 comments:

Anjie said...

I couldn't agree more, music really makes the day and everytime you hear your songs again, you're transported to your special day.
Friends of mine danced their wedding waltz to the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's 'Rollercoaster of love' which was great and other friends brought everyone to tears dancing to 'Kissing you' by Desree. My own wedding ceremony songs included U2 'All I Want is You", "Hearbeats" by Jose Gonzalez and 'Romeo & Juliet' by Dire Straights. Our wedding waltz was a tribute to the King... 'It's now or never'

Gracie said...

You blog is great!
I'm thinking about music though it might be a bit early. I know that I loved 'The Luckiest' by Bens Folds Five that one of my best friends used at her wedding for their first dance. It was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I loved the music we used at our wedding! I went with my gut feeling about each song and you know what-- it was perfect! Lovely blog!